Read this interesting view on oral probiotics and its contribution to oral health from dental hygienist, Susan Clark RDH.
Oral probiotics are designed to increase the level of your oral health naturally and effectively, working to build a strong and healthy foundation for your mouth, gums, and teeth. They are designed to repopulate the mouth with good microorganisms. Oral probiotics:
- Recolonise healthy bacteria;
- Crowd out bad breath causing bacteria colonies found on the tongue and throat;
- Supports the immune system;
- Helps restore the natural pH balance in the mouth and saliva.
- S. salivarius is primarily found in the mouth, competing with these bad bacteria and is thought to support a healthy microbial balance as well.
- Researchers have discovered that probiotics create a film in the mouth that acts as a protective sheath for oral tissues and support oral health. The space used by bad bacteria is occupied by probiotics, which thus restricts the multiplication of these bacteria. Consequently, the bad bacteria are replaced by good bacteria, which contribute to a healthy mouth.